Last Updated on December 27, 2021
Becoming a delivery person is one of the top ways to make extra money on the side. Companies like DoorDash have made it easier for drivers and riders to get paid delivering food to customers. But you may be wondering whether it’s possible to make $1,000 a week with DoorDash.
Maybe you’ve ever worked with another company in the past and didn’t hit such a weekly income goal. Or, you’ve never tried becoming a food delivery driver and need to know if it’s worth it.
This DoorDash review will help you know how DoorDash works and ways to maximize your earnings as a DoorDash driver (or Dasher). In case you want to become a Dasher right away, here’s the sign-up page.
Quick Ways to Make Money Right Now!
InboxDollars gives you real PayPal money to complete surveys, watch videos, and play games.
Swagbucks can pay you $100+ a month to take surveys, watch videos, shop, and do online searches.
Upromise sends you a $30.29 bonus and cash rewards to your linked account.
Get $1 as a new member on Branded Surveys and access well-paying tasks.
Survey Junkie pays you for sharing your opinion and browsing activities.
Trim negotiates your bills, cancels old subscriptions, and boosts your savings.
What Is DoorDash?
If you didn’t already know, DoorDash is a food ordering and delivery company. Customers make orders from nearby restaurants and the company delivers them to their door.
DoorDash is one of the largest food delivery companies in the US. It serves in over 4,000 cities in the US, Canada, and Australia and works with many restaurants, grocery, and convenience stores, among others.
How Does DoorDash Work?
As DoorDash has partnered with many stores in various cities, locals can make orders and get them delivered through Dashers. Here is how DoorDash works for drivers:
- Register as a Dasher. You simply need to go to the registration page, fill out your details and complete the steps, install and then launch the app.
- Click on “Dash Now” to find orders in your location.
- Accept the orders you like.
- Follow the instructions on the app about the pickup and delivery location.
- Receive your earnings.
You get all the money earned deposited into your bank account on a weekly basis.
What are the Requirements to Become a DoorDash Driver?
Becoming a DoorDash driver doesn’t require any special qualifications or skills. Here’s all that’s needed:
- Having attained the age of 18 at least.
- A smartphone.
- A mode of transportation. In most cases, having a car works best. If you don’t have one, you could hire it using a reliable car renting company (although this would mean more costs). In select cities, Dashers can just use a motorcycle, bicycle, or scooter to deliver orders.
- A driver’s license.
- A social security number for US residents.
- Passing a background check.
Another good thing is that DoorDash doesn’t have specified car requirements. As long as the vehicle is in good condition, you just need your driver’s license and insurance to get started.
How to Make Money on DoorDash
Making money on DoorDash isn’t complicated. Here are the ways to make money as a DoorDash driver:
- Picking and delivering orders: All you need to do is accept an order from a customer, pick it up, and deliver it to them. You get paid for each order you successfully deliver.
- Customer tips: Another way to earn income would be getting customer tips. While you may have no real control over this one, it’s still a great boost to your DoorDash driver earnings. In fact, DoorDash allows you to keep the entire amount from tips.
- Refer friends and family: This is another great idea to generate more income using DoorDash. The dasher app allows drivers to invite other people to join the platform. The person you refer has to complete specific delivery requirements for you to earn a particular amount.
How DoorDash Pay Works
You may be asking yourself how much you can make as a DoorDash driver. According to DoorDash, most earnings per delivery range from $2 to amounts over $10.
It all depends on the duration, distance, and desirability of a customer’s order. This means that quick and regular orders that take a short while to be delivered have a lower base pay. Those that come with special requests and take longer for a Dasher to deliver pay more.
Can I Make $1,000 a Week with DoorDash?
Now, back to this question. Is it possible to make $1,000 a week with DoorDash? Can you even make $500 a week with DoorDash?
The answer is YES. You can make $500 or $1,000 a week delivering with DoorDash. Several users on Quora, Reddit, and YouTube have made such amounts working as Dashers.
But there are various factors that determine how much you can earn per day, week, or month as a Dasher. These include the number and kind of orders you pick, how many hours you work per day, and the location you’re in. You’ll find details on these later in the post.
Why You Should Become a DoorDash Driver
Still wondering if becoming a Dasher is worth it? Here are some reasons why becoming a DoorDash driver is profitable and beneficial:
- You choose your hours of work: Dashers can pick the time that best works for them to pick and deliver DoorDash orders. You won’t have to work 8 hours a day like in the case of full-time jobs. In fact, it’s possible to make it a side gig for when you’re free.
- You deliver at any location: DoorDash doesn’t choose the area you’ll be working in for you. You’re the one to decide. So, it can be your hometown or a place you’re staying at for a while.
- Easy registration process: It takes a few minutes to submit your application. There aren’t any educational or car requirements that take long to verify. You just need a car that’s in good condition, a driver’s license, and a quick background check.
- Get nearby orders right away: You just need to log into your account through the dasher app to start getting local jobs. As long as you’ve been approved to dash, there aren’t any extra criteria Dashers have to go by.
- Clear payment model: You know how much you’ll make picking and delivering a specific order in advance. If you think the earnings from an order don’t work for you, you don’t have to accept it.
If you need to make more money, regardless of the amount, becoming a Dasher suits you. From there, you can set income goals and work on achieving them.
Don’t wait any longer, click here to start dashing for extra cash!
Tips to Make More Money Delivering with DoorDash
If you want to make $500 to $1,000 plus a week with DoorDash, there are some tips to keep in mind.
1. Choose your work hours wisely
Because DoorDash allows you to choose when to work, you may be tempted to pick your free time. But if you select hours that aren’t busy when it comes to people ordering food, you’ll have fewer deliveries to make. So, you won’t make that much each day or week.
It’s essential to identify the hours during which most DoorDash users in your area are making orders. For instance, lunch and dinner hours work best.
You may have to set aside time to fulfill orders at such hours. If you have a full-time job, this can be hard. But if you’re working part-time or remotely, it’s possible.
Becoming a Dasher works well if you have no other job. This way, you’ll have an entire day (8 to 12 hours) to find and deliver orders. You can make good money this way.
2. Prioritize high-paying orders
It’s always great to pick and deliver as many orders as you can depending on your income goals. A good acceptance rate gets you more opportunities to dash and earn on DoorDash. But when it comes to choosing one order over the other, prioritize the one where you get more earnings.
If you like working hard, you won’t have to worry about how long it takes to pick and deliver the item to a customer. Large orders take a lot of effort. And so, the customer may tip you a lot more than if it was a simple order.
3. Work in an area with many DoorDash users
If your area has a low number of DoorDash users, you might not hit a weekly income goal of $500 or $1,000. Working at a location where DoorDash is more popular is a good solution.
The area also needs to be less popular among delivery workers on DoorDash. This way, you’ll have little competition.
Plus, keep in mind factors like available routes and parking because high traffic can slow you down. Doing a little research online on social media can help you discover potential locations to work as a Dasher.
In case you have no other job keeping you in a specific city, moving out may help. While that seems like too much work, it may bear fruits for you in the long run.
FAQs on DoorDash for Drivers
Does DoorDash pay per hour or per delivery?
DoorDash pays Dashers per delivery. This means that you get a specific amount, regardless of the time taken to complete delivery. The good thing is that it’s possible to see how much you’ll earn before accepting any order.
However, you can still calculate your hourly earnings based on the time taken and the amount earned.
Do DoorDash drivers make good money?
Yes, DoorDash drivers can get paid well. But it depends on factors like the number of deliveries, how many hours you work, and your location. You can make good money working more hours and in an area with lots of DoorDash orders to deliver.
Related: Online Jobs That Pay Well
What are the best cities for DoorDash?
According to DoorDash, these are some of the top cities:
- New York
- Los Angeles
- Las Vegas
But location isn’t the only factor that determines how much you can make delivering with DoorDash. The number of deliveries you make, your work hours, and competition also matter.
Wrapping It up
DoorDash is a great platform to make money as a delivery driver. While there are several factors that influence your Dasher earnings, working hard and smart is essential.
If you just need a few extra bucks, you can only work a few hours per day or week. But if your goal is to make several hundred or a few thousand dollars delivering orders, you need to put more effort into it. You could even sign up with a few more companies like Uber Eats and Postmates to maximize your earnings.
Not yet a Dasher? Create a new account here.
Now, hope you enjoyed this review of DoorDash and are working hard to reach your weekly income goals. Feel free to share your experiences in the comments!