Last Updated on August 1, 2021
Ever heard people talking about 6 figures? It could be several if not tens or hundreds of times. But just how much is 6 figures in money?
Maybe you read about an online entrepreneur making 7 figures. Or a real estate investor making 8 or 9 figures. If you’ve ever wondered what all these figures actually mean, you’re in the right place.
Chances are that you’re also interested in knowing how you can achieve the same. And so, you’ll also discover the best part-time and full-time jobs that pay 6, 7, 8, and 9 figures. Read on to find out the details.
How Much Is a Figure?
One figure simply means any amount of money starting from $1 to $9. In simple terms, it’s a single digit.
So, if you earned $7.49 from doing something, you made one figure (even though the amount has 3 digits). So, in this case, it isn’t really true to say you made 3 figures.
Now that you know the basics, it’s time to explore the big figures!
How Much Is 6 Figures?
If a figure refers to one digit, then 6 figures means an amount starting from 100,000 to 999,999. So, if someone says they make 6 figures, they’re talking about earnings amounting to $100,000 or more but less than $1,000,000.
So, an amount such as $1,000.99 isn’t 6 figures. Instead, it’s 4 figures. That’s because we count the dollars and leave out the cents.
Keep in mind that “6 figures” mostly refers to the total earnings of one year. But some people may say they make 6 figures a month. In that case, it simply means that they earn an amount in the above range per month.
What is a 6-figure salary?
A six-figure salary would mean that you’re earning at least $100,000 and up to $999,999 per year. In short, it has 6 digits.
You could also say that you make a six-figure income if your annual income is in the same range. Besides your yearly salary, an annual income of 6 figures may include commissions, bonuses, and other additional earnings.
Now, that you have an answer for “how much is 6 figures a year,” it’s time to find out what you need to earn in a month to hit such an amount.
How much do I need to make a month to make 6 figures?
Making 6 figures means that you earn at least $8,333.33 a month. That means you need to find a job that pays the same amount or more every month.
If you’re wondering how much you make a week to make 6 figures, it’s at least $2,083.33. This comes to $416.67 per workday and $52.08 per hour (working 8 hours).
Related: How to Make $100 a Day
Is a 6-figure salary good?
Most of the time, a six-figure salary or income will serve you well. It puts you among the top earners and is a dream many people have and are looking to accomplish.
But how satisfying 6 figures can be for you also depends on several factors. They include how and where you live.
You could be making 6 figures but are living beyond your means. In such a case, you may need to generate more income to meet all your wants and needs. But an effective option would be to stop living expensively and manage your money better.
Another instance where a six-figure income may not be enough is when you have large debts to pay. You’ll need to eliminate them first before you start living comfortably.
Plus, a high six-figure income is better than a low or average six-figure income. Someone making $999,999 is mostly better off than another one who makes $100,000.
So, a six-figure income is good for you if you don’t live a highly expensive lifestyle and have no huge debt weighing you down.
What jobs make 6 figures a year?
Here are some popular six-figure jobs:
- Software developer
- Financial manager
- Airline and commercial pilot
- Air traffic controller
- Real estate broker
Most 6-figure jobs need a degree. But some of them only require you to take some training and enhance your skills.
Related: 39 Ways to Make Extra Money
6-figure salary jobs with a degree
If you’re willing to invest in education to get a high-paying job, you have a wide variety of options. While a good number of them only require an undergraduate degree, some high-salary jobs need an advanced academic or professional degree.
Here are several six-figure salary jobs to choose from:
1. Software developer
- Job description: Software developers’ work involves developing, testing, installing, and maintaining computer programs. They monitor and evaluate system performance.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or other related fields. A master’s degree is an advantage. Knowledge of the latest programming tools is also necessary.
- Median Salary: $110,140
- Job description: Engaging in the research, design, and manufacture of aircraft, spacecraft, and other airborne objects.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering, or a related engineering field.
- Median Salary: $118,610
- Job description: Involved in chemical production and the manufacture of products through chemical processes.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or Industrial Chemistry. Or, a relevant bachelor’s degree plus a postgraduate education in Chemical Engineering.
- Media Salary: $108,540
- Job description: Dealing with electrical equipment. That includes designing and maintaining devices and systems that require electricity, electronics, or electromagnetism.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Electronic, Telecommunications or Communications Engineering.
- Median Salary: $103,390
- Job description: Engaging in activities related to the production of crude oil and natural gas. They locate oil and gas supplies below the earth’s surface and develop methods to extract them.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Petroleum Engineering. Sometimes, a degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering will do.
- Median Salary: $137,330
- Job description: Working in the nuclear industry. They develop the processes and equipment required to benefit from nuclear energy and radiation.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Nuclear Engineering. Some nuclear engineering jobs require a master’s degree.
- Median Salary: $116,140
- Job description: Protecting a client’s rights and upholding the law. Lawyers research, advise, gather information and evidence, and prepare legal documents like contracts and divorce papers.
- Requirements: Undergraduate degree and 3 years in law school. Plus, a Juris Doctorate degree is required in most states.
- Median Salary: $126,930
4. Financial manager
- Job description: Involves maintaining and improving the financial health of an organization. They develop financial goals, analyze financial activities, and create financial reports.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Business, or other related fields.
- Median Salary: $134,180
- Job description: A medical doctor who specializes in caring for and relieving pain in patients before, during, and after surgeries. They develop anesthetic plans and administer anesthetics. Also, they can treat patients experiencing pain from injuries and various health conditions.
- Requirements: An undergraduate degree, a medical degree, and postgraduate training (residency).
- Median Salary: $208,000
- Job description: Dentists diagnose and treat dental problems. They assist patients in adopting good oral hygiene practices. They can clean teeth, correct bite problems, and offer basic oral surgery.
- Requirements: An undergraduate degree, completion of a dental program, plus a Doctor of Medical Dentistry or Dental Surgery.
- Median Salary: $164,010
- Job description: Surgeons perform surgeries on patients. They perform operations to correct injuries, deformities, and other health problems.
- Requirements: An undergraduate degree, completion of medical school, and surgical residency.
- Median Salary: $208,000
6-figure salary jobs without a degree
If you don’t have a college degree, there are quite a number of high-paying jobs you could land. You may have to take some training to be qualified.
Here are some six-figure jobs to consider without a degree:
8. Airline and commercial pilot
- Job description: An airline and commercial pilot’s job is to safely deliver passengers or cargo to their destinations through air transport. They usually work with a co-pilot who helps them when taking off, landing, and in other activities during a flight.
- Requirements: Completing ground school and flight training to learn how to fly a plane. Getting a private pilot certificate, instrument rating, and commercial pilot license to become a commercial pilot.
- Median Salary: $130,440
9. Air traffic controller
- Job description: They monitor and direct the movement of aircraft in the air and on the ground at airports. They instruct pilots as they take off or land, inform them of adverse weather conditions, and manage communication between control centers and pilots.
- Requirements: Training as an air traffic controller through a program approved by Federal Aviation Administration (US residents) and getting certified.
- Median Salary: $130,420
10. Real estate broker
- Job description: Overseeing transactions between buyers and sellers in real estate. They prepare contracts for people buying or selling land, buildings, and other property. Besides that, they negotiate prices and manage a team of real estate agents.
- Requirements: Taking an approved real estate course and getting a certification plus license.
- Salary: While the median salary is $51,220, some real estate brokers earn more than $100,000 per year.
Online jobs with a 6-figure income
These are the high-paying jobs that you can do part-time or full-time and make 6 figures using the Internet.
Blogging involves running a site where you write content on specific topics for a targeted audience. This audience can be people looking to make extra money, travelers, foodies, or any other group of individuals.
If you create high-quality posts and monetize your blog properly, you can make a 6-figure income. Some ways to make money blogging are promoting your own or affiliate products, showing ads, and writing sponsored content.
For more details on becoming a blogger, check out this article on how to create a blog that actually makes money.
2. Web developer
A web developer’s job involves designing, building, and maintaining websites. They come up with the appearance and other aspects of a site according to a client’s needs.
If you have a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field, you can become a web developer. But the good thing is that getting such degrees isn’t something you must do.
Freelance sites and job boards are great for finding web development jobs. You’re also free to create a site for offering your services.
Here’s one web developer, called Tom Hirst, who makes 6 figures without a CS degree.
This involves creating videos and uploading them on YouTube. And there are lots of topics to make videos about.
Many video creators have taken to YouTube because of its popularity as a video search engine. You only need video creation equipment to join the club. They include a good camera, lighting equipment, and video-editing software.
As long as you can operate such tools, you’re good to go. But because the competition has quickly gone up, you might need some strategies to see your desired results faster. You could find the information online for free or take an e-course from a well-known YouTuber to learn their tricks.
When you meet the YouTube Partner Program requirements of 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours over the past 12 months, you get a chance to monetize your videos with ads. But as you wait, you can promote products and services or collaborate with smaller brands.
How Much Is 7 Figures?
Wondering what 7 figures means in money? It simply refers to an amount starting from 1,000,000 to 9,999,999
If someone makes 7 figures, they earn $1,000,000 or more but less than $10,000,000. In other words, they’re making at least one million dollars and under 10 million dollars per year.
In that case, an amount like $10,000.99 is 5 and not 7 figures. As already mentioned in “how much is 6 figures,” we consider the dollars but not the cents.
Also, the term “7 figures” mostly means the earnings of one year. But there are people who make such amounts in a month. So, they can say that they make 7 figures per month.
What is a 7-figure salary?
A seven-figure salary means that someone is making at least $1,000,000 and up to $9,999,999 per year from their work. As you can see, it has 7 digits.
You can say that you earn a seven-figure income if your annual income is in a similar range. That includes anything you earn on top of your salary within the year.
How much do you have to make a month to make 7 figures?
Making 7 figures requires you to earn at least $83,333.33 a month. You’ll need a career that can generate such an amount or even more per month.
Your weekly earnings need to be at least $20,833.33. This comes to $4,166.67 per workday and $520.83 per hour if working 8 hours.
Is a 7-figure income good?
A seven-figure income or salary is better than earning 6 figures. Making one million dollars or more in a year is a big achievement that many people wish for.
If you make a mid or high 7 figures (3, 4, 5 million dollars or more) you’ll be ranking well among the top 0.1 percent of earners in the US. If it’s the world as a whole, the rank goes even higher.
Regardless of which end of the 7-figure scale you’re at, you’ll be doing great. You get a chance to live with freedom, abundance, and happiness.
So, if you really need to earn 7 figures, make it about the financial freedom you’ll have. It shouldn’t be about being called rich or bragging about the status associated with it. Your goal should be to keep the boring 9-5 grind and any sorts of endless and fruitless hustling at bay.
What jobs pay 7 figures a year?
As you may know, seven-figure salaries are less common than 6-figure ones. Besides joining a profitable industry, you need exemplary skills and determination to make 7 figures. Frankly, the journey isn’t that easy.
Many people who make a million dollars or more per year are self-employed. Still, some jobs can bring in 7 figures. But that’s only if you work hard enough to achieve it.
So, let’s explore what some of these 7-figure jobs are.
1. Professional athlete
Professional athletes are talented people who play for profit. They go through intense practice and training to perform well in the field.
These athletes play professional sports such as football, basketball, baseball, tennis, and more. They can make a lot of money if they’re in a high-paying team.
If you’re skilled in a particular sport, you could become a professional athlete. But you need several years of practice and training to keep your body in good condition and improve your skills.
You may start by joining smaller clubs and teams first and work your way up. The best approach to being noticed by sponsors is to show your skills in the field.
Keep in mind that a 7-figure salary is actually not the best a professional athlete can get. But it’s a great place to be in terms of money!
Entertainment is yet another industry where your talent can pay off. Entertainers can either be actors/actresses, musicians, dancers, comedians, and more.
Most entertainers are known for their performance and not education. So, if you’re confident you can make it in a particular entertainment industry, you’re good to start chasing your dreams.
You need a lot of practice and training. Besides that, you need to expose your skills by performing at events or even posting your content online.
While the income of various types of entertainers varies, it’s not uncommon to hit the 7-figure mark. In fact, many popular film stars, artistes, and stand-up comedians make more than 7 figures.
3. Business owner
This is probably the most popular way to earn a 7-figure income. All you need to do is offer a product or service that people really need and put it in front of them (well, not exactly in their face).
You have to engage in activities like market research, developing a high-quality product, and using proper marketing strategies. And with the Internet available, it’s quite easy to build brand awareness and reach your targeted customers.
Getting a business idea isn’t supposed to be difficult. In fact, you can turn your hobby into a business and make money from something you’re already good at.
Yes, that’s right. Blogging doesn’t stop at 6 figures!
Several people in the blogosphere are raking in 7 figures per year. But it all comes with lots of work and not giving up.
You’re likely to build and grow your blog for several years before hitting this mark. If you’re doing it right like Adam Enfroy, you might be able to earn over $80k a month and 7 figures in less than 2 years. Some bigger blogs have already achieved the same.
Again, here is my detailed guide for beginners on starting a profitable blog. It covers choosing a blogging niche, picking a domain name plus hosting, adding blog content that can be monetized, and much more.
This is yet another 6-figure gig that can make 7 figures. Some top YouTubers make over a million dollars in one year. And most of them never thought it possible when starting out.
Of course, you need to put in a lot of effort to achieve the same level of success. If you believe you can create videos that many people will want to watch, go for it. While investing in high-quality video creation equipment helps, you’re free to start with what you have if it’s good enough.
6. Self-help guru
Self-help gurus are people who have gone through positive changes in their life and use their lessons and ideas to help others. Some top self-help gurus earn 6 figures a year.
Most of the earnings come from selling books, taking part in seminars, speaking in podcasts, running programs for profit, among others.
If you believe you have a story to share, you could join this industry and make profits while inspiring change.
How Much Is 8 Figures?
8 figures is any amount from 10,000,000 to 99,999,999. If a person makes 8 figures, they’re generating $10,000,000 or more but less than $100,000,000. Simply put, they earn 10-99 million dollars a year.
Still, we don’t consider the cents when it comes to 8 figures. So, an amount like $100,000.99 isn’t 8 figures. It’s 6 figures.
How much is an 8-figure income?
While an eight-figure salary is rare, an income of 8 figures means that someone earns at least $10,000,000 and up to $99,999,999 per year from what they do for money. In other words, it has 8 digits.
In case you’re wondering, 8 figures is a lot of money. It’s a dream that many people have but only a few achieve.
What jobs pay 8 figures?
Not many jobs can earn you an 8-figure income. Plus, most of the ones that make such amounts come along with some popularity. So, if want to make 8 figures, be prepared to handle being in the spotlight.
Here are the careers that can pay 8 figures:
- Professional athlete: A professional athlete making $10-99 million a year earns an 8-figure income. They get paid such amounts because they’re highly skilled and are the favorites of many fans. For instance, a sportsperson like Mohamed Salah made 8 figures ($35.1 million) in 2020.
- Entertainer: Showbiz careers are among the top-earning ones. Whether it’s a film star, artiste, or comedian, such jobs can bring in an 8-figure income. The entertainer most likely needs to be part of a few popular projects to earn such amounts.
- CEO: When doing business, it’s quite hard to hit the 8-figure mark without a team. A CEO is the highest-ranking executive in a company and has responsibilities like decision-making and resource management. Chances are that several CEOs in your city make 8 figures.
- Other business executives: Besides CEOs, business executives like COOs, CPOs, and CTOs can earn an 8-figure income if they’re running a highly profitable company. Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook, made over $27 million in compensation in 2019.
- Online entrepreneur: Becoming a popular online entrepreneur comes with benefits such as earning 8 figures. They include top bloggers, digital marketers, and YouTubers. Some of them combine all these online businesses to hit the mark.
- Self-help guru: Top self-help gurus also earn 8 figures. Their income comes from product sales, speeches, and more. An example is Tony Robbins, a success coach who was making more than $30 million per year by 2005.
How Much Is 9 Figures?
If you’re wondering what 9 figures means in money, it refers to an amount in the range of 100,000,000 to 999,999,999. If someone says they make 9 figures, they mean earnings starting from $100,000,000 but less than $1,000,000,000. In short, they make $100-999 million per year.
How much is a 9-figure income?
A nine-figure income would mean that a person is earning at least $100,000,000 and up to $999,999,999 from their high-paying career within a year. And so, it has 9 digits.
The low 9 figures stands for not one, two, or even 99 but a hundred million in money. Some people may go a bit bonkers if they wake up to such amounts (I know a few but let’s move on).
What jobs pay 9 figures?
Nine-figure jobs are rarer. Most people with an income of 9 figures don’t work for anyone.
They run their own businesses. An even better word is “empire.”
The rest who aren’t business empire owners are usually at the top in their game. If not in business, they mostly fall into the sports and entertainment industries.
Here are the careers that can pay 9 figures:
- Professional athlete: The highest-paid professional athletes earn a 9-figure income in a year. They’re usually the best in whatever sport they play.
- Entertainer: Musicians who top the charts in a specific year can make 9 figures. Film stars who get a big role in high-budget films can also get paid the same figures.
- CEO: Many CEOs of big companies make 9 figures. Their brand is usually one that’s popular in several countries. The highest-paid CEOs earn way more than 9 figures.
- Real estate investors: Investing money seems to be something that pays off when done wisely. Among the richest real estate investors are those that earn a 9-figure income.
Who Is Making 9 figures?
In case you want to know who makes 9 figures, here are some popular people who have achieved that:
- Lionel Messi: This footballer, known for his award-winning skills, earned $126 million through his salary and endorsements in 2020.
- Kanye West: As a popular rapper with several big hits, Kanye West made $170 million in 2020.
- Kylie Jenner: According to the 2020 Forbes list of celebrity earnings, Kylie Jenner brought in $590 million.
- Sundar Pichai: The Alphabet and Google CEO was awarded over $280 million in compensation in 2019.
Wrapping It up
Knowing how much is 6 figures, 7 figures, 8 figures, 9 figures and more is essential. It improves your financial literacy. When you’re knowledgeable about money, it becomes easier to pursue your financial goals and manage your finances better.
You’ve also discovered some jobs that pay well. In case you didn’t know what you want to be in life, hope you’ve gathered some ideas. If you put in enough effort, whether in education or business, you might as well achieve your big dreams.