Last Updated on August 22, 2021
Wondering what 5 figures means in money? You might have seen or heard that someone is making 5 figures lots of times. If you want to know what such a figure means, you’re going to discover it all here.
The article also explores jobs that make 5 figures, whether 5 figures is a good income, and more. 3 and 4 figures are also covered. So, keep reading to get all the answers you need.
How Much Is 3 Figures?
A figure refers to one digit. So, 3 figures are the same as 3 digits. 3 figures in money start from $100 to $999.
So, 1.99 doesn’t mean 3 figures. It’s just one figure because cents aren’t considered.
What is a 3-figure salary (or income)?
A 3-figure salary would mean that someone earns at least $100 and up to $999. Unless it’s a monthly salary, 3 figures a year is very low.
For instance, $100 a year comes to $8.33 a month. That’s an amount many people of various professions make in less than an hour.
A 3-figure income means that a person’s annual income has 3 digits too. Unless it’s specific, like from a side hustle on top of someone’s better-paying main job, a 3-figure income is also low.
However, the highest 3 figures ($999) isn’t as bad as the lowest ($100). $999 a year comes to $83.25 a month. It’s still an amount some people make in an hour. But it’s way better than $8.33 a month.
Related: How to Make 100 Dollars a Day
How much is 3 figures a month?
Someone can say they make 3 figures a month if their monthly earnings are in the range of $100 to $999. In other words, they generate at least one hundred dollars but less than one thousand dollars every month.
Many side hustles, new businesses, and lower-paying jobs come can bring in 3 figures a month. While not the best, it can be a good place to be if you’re just starting out with whatever source of income that is.
Chances are that if you work a bit harder, you may make more profits if it’s a side gig or business or get a raise if it’s a job. You could easily move to 4 figures (what we’ll be covering next).
How Much Is 4 Figures?
4 figures refer to any amount with 4 digits. So, 4 figures in money mean $1,000 to $9,999.
An amount like $19.99 wouldn’t be considered 4 figures. It’s 2 figures because we don’t count the cents.
What is a 4-figure salary (or income)?
If you’re wondering how much is a 4-figure salary, it simply means that someone earns at least $1,000 and up to $9,999 a year. In other words, they earn at least one thousand dollars but less than ten thousand dollars in one year.
A 4-figure income would mean that your annual income is also in the mentioned range. The amount may include bonuses and other earnings on top of your salary. It may also refer to income from a side hustle or business.
Four-figure salaries or income may be okay to the earner. That’s if we assume it’s the high 4 figures and not the lowest.
Let’s do a little math with the lowest 4 figures. $1,000 a year comes to $83.33 a month. It’s an amount individuals in some of the top professions can make within an hour.
But with the highest 4 figures, $9,999, it becomes $833.25 in monthly earnings. That amount can suit someone who is living quite cheaply or maybe if they’re in a low-income country.
Related: How to Make 500 Dollars Fast
How much is 4 figures a month?
You can say that you earn 4 figures monthly if the amount ranges from $1,000 to $9,999 per month. If you have a four-figure monthly income, then you’re doing quite well.
Many average jobs pay 4 figures a month. Businesses and side hustles that are performing well can also bring in the same.
As long as you’re debt-free and not living expensively, making 4 figures a month might suit you. And it’s possible to cross over to 5 figures if you continue doing great work.
How Much Is 5 Figures?
5 figures mean an amount with 5 digits. That’s $10,000 to $99,999 when it comes to money.
Again, we only consider the whole values and not cents. So, an amount like $199.99 is 3 figures and not 5 figures.
What is a 5-figure salary (or income)?
If you’re eager to know how much a 5-figure salary is, it means that someone makes at least $10,000 and up to $99,999 a year. Simply put, they earn at least ten thousand dollars and less than one hundred thousand dollars in a year.
A 5-figure income refers to an annual income of $10,000 to $99,999. If you’re working a job, it can include commissions, bonuses, and any other earnings on top of your salary.
A five-figure salary or income can suit the majority of people. In fact, it’s the dream of many others to earn the high 5 figures (amounts closer to $99,999).
Is a 5-figure salary good?
If you’re making 5 figures a year, especially when on the lower end of the scale, you’re an average earner. In case you’re earning as close to $99,999 as possible, you should be living quite comfortably.
But how well a 5-figure salary or income suits you depends on various factors. Let’s explore some of them:
1. Where you live
It will always be that some locations are more expensive than others. So, this affects your living costs.
How much a house costs varies by location. For instance, a house in New York will be more expensive than one in Detroit.
Also, your neighborhood determines how much you’ll spend on your other needs. For instance, earthquake insurance can be costly in a place that is prone to earthquakes. A low-risk area would mean that less money is spent on such coverage.
You may find that even expenses like those of food are higher in one location than another. Factors like demand, taxation rate, and laws affect the prices.
It may help to rent an apartment or buy a home further away from the city. But this approach may increase other expenses like gas if you’re working or even studying in the city. So, you need to do some Math there.
In case moving away doesn’t affect your work and is the less costly option, then it would be best to do so. In fact, if you’re doing things remotely, you could choose the cheapest place even if it’s far away and enjoy some “financial” peace.
2. Whether or not you have debt
Debt can weigh you down if you have it. Interest costs can cripple you financially if they’re high. Your cash flow is affected if you’re always paying high-interest debts.
Paying bills could be stressful enough for you. With a huge debt in the mix, what you earn may not cover all your living expenses. And debt only gets worse if left unpaid.
If you pay off debt, you’ll have more money because there are no interest payments to make. This also reduces your financial stress.
So, you need a debt payoff strategy like debt snowball or debt avalanche to eliminate large and small debts of various interest rates. Such strategies are useful for getting out of debt as soon as possible using the income you have.
3. How you spend money
Sometimes (many times, actually), your spending habits make it seem like you’re not making enough money. Maybe there’s no restaurant you haven’t been to in town. Or, you have all the names of casinos in the city at your fingertips.
The experiences and knowledge aren’t bad at all. But spending a lot of money when unnecessary is a real problem.
For the first example, cooking and eating at home more is essential for avoiding expensive restaurants and food orders. As for casinos, they can be addicting and cost someone a lot of their hard-earned cash. A 5-figure income may vanish into such a habit.
So, if you have any costly habit that takes up a significant amount of your money, it’s best to find a cheaper alternative to it if not eliminate it.
Having a budget is necessary for tracking your income and expenses. It becomes easy to spot where you’re overspending and where you shouldn’t spend at all.
That’s how you’ll be able to meet all your needs and live a stress-free life when it comes to finances. You’ll avoid getting into debt as everything you really need is taken care of.
Related: $40,000 a Year Is How Much an Hour?
How much is 5 figures a month?
Similar to the other figures, the term “5 figures’ is often associated with yearly salary or income. But someone can say they make 5 figures a month if they’re earning $10,000 to $99,999 on a monthly basis. If you’re having 5-figure months, it means you’re doing great.
It’s possible to earn 5 figures within a month if you have a high-paying job or business that’s highly profitable. Such an amount in monthly income is enough to finance your dream life.
What are some 5-figure jobs?
Many jobs pay 5 figures a year as long as whoever does it is a professional. Even without a college degree, it’s possible to earn a 5-figure salary if you’re sufficiently skilled.
Here are some jobs to make 5 figures per year:
- Fashion designer
- Graphic designer
- Registered nurse
- High-school teacher
- Pest control technician
- Teacher assistant
5-figure jobs with a college degree
In most cases, you need a bachelor’s degree to be considered for entry-level positions to jobs with educational requirements. Some higher positions in a specific field may require an advanced degree.
Here are some five-figure salary jobs with a degree:
1. Fashion designer
- Job description: A fashion designer’s job is to design clothes, shoes, and accessories and also assist with their production. They spot trends, pick styles, colors, fabrics, and patterns for such products.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Fashion Design. Creativity, communication skills, collaboration skills plus drawing and sewing skills are also essential.
- Median salary: $75,810
2. Graphic designer
- Job description: Graphic designers or artists design graphics used on a variety of products. It could be websites, magazines, brochures, and other promotional materials. They come up with concepts, layouts, and illustrations to be used by companies to attract consumers.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design. Web Design, Art, Animation, or a related field. The ability t use graphic design tools like those from Adobe is also necessary. Sometimes, your skills are what matter to become a successful graphic designer especially online.
- Median salary: $53,380
- Job description: Architects plan and develop designs for new construction projects, alterations, and redevelopments. It’s their job to bring a client’s dream building into reality. They control projects to ensure that the design is innovative, functional, and of high quality.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in Architecture. A paid internship to gain experience comes in handy. Skills like analytical thinking, good communication, and creativity are also essential.
- Median salary: $82,320
4. Registered nurse
- Job description: A registered nurse’s work is to care for individual patients and help in restoring their health. They collaborate with physicians and other team members to ensure that a patient gets well. Nurses also provide physical and emotional support to patients and the people close to them.
- Requirements: Associate of Science in Nursing or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Gaining clinical experience is necessary. Also, you may be required to pass the NCLEX-RN exam (the US and Canada) to become registered and get licensed.
- Median salary: $75,330
5. High-school teacher
- Job description: A high-school teacher plans lessons and teaches a specific subject to their students in a private or public school. They also work with individual students to help them get better at schoolwork. As if not enough, they prepare the students for standardized testing.
- Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in a subject that can be taught in high school. It’s usually a Bachelor of Education degree. A certificate or license may be required to teach in a public school.
- Median salary: $62,870
5-figure jobs without a college degree
If for whatever reason you didn’t or don’t want to get a college education, there are several jobs that pay well to choose from. Some of them can also be done while still pursuing a college degree.
What’s required in this case is being skilled. You may want to get some training and some experience before applying for such jobs.
Here are some five-figure salary jobs without a college degree:
- Job description: An athlete is someone trained and skilled in a particular sport. They understand how a specific game goes and are required to obey the rules. Sports include baseball, soccer, golf, swimming, and running races.
- Requirements: No formal education is required. But a high-school diploma or equivalent may be necessary. Training is essential to enhance one’s abilities and skills in the field.
- Median salary: $50,850
- Job description: A chef’s work is to prepare delicious meals that diners can enjoy. They could also be tasked with overseeing the kitchen staff, restocking the required ingredients, and tasting dishes before being served to customers.
- Requirements: Culinary skills and experience are needed. While there’s no strict educational requirement, getting some training is great for improving skills. Sometimes, a high-school diploma or equivalent is necessary.
- Median salary: $53,380
- Job description: An electrician installs and repairs electrical wiring and equipment in buildings under construction or already established. Their job includes installing pipes to electrical wires and cables to ensure safety at home, work, or some other place.
- Requirements: Apprenticeship can get someone into the job in many cases. But you may need to have earned a high-school diploma or equivalent and attended a technical training school.
- Median salary: $56,900
9. Pest control technician
- Job description: Pest control technicians eliminate pests. They spray liquid, powdered, and gaseous chemicals on or close to building surfaces that have pests. Other than that, they can set pest control traps and get rid of the pests once trapped.
- Requirements: Getting certified by taking a relevant course or training. A high-school diploma is required in some cases. Experience in handling pests and the chemicals involved goes a long way.
- Median salary: $37,820
10. Teacher assistant
- Job description: A teacher assistant’s job is to offer support to a teacher in charge of teaching a specific class. They assist teachers in supervising activities in the class. Also, they help teachers in preparing lesson plans and work with individual students and groups to improve their learning.
- Requirements: A high-school diploma. Being enrolled at a college is also a requirement. While some roles require having completed an associate degree, you can become a teacher assistant if pursuing a bachelor’s degree.
- Median salary: $28,900
Online jobs with a 5-figure income
Many online jobs can bring in five figures per year whether done as a side hustle or full-time. Here are a few of them:
1. Freelance writing
Freelance writing is a popular way to make extra money online if you have writing skills. You simply write about a topic you know about as assigned by a client and get paid.
Freelance writing may involve content writing where you create blog posts, copyrighting where you write promotional copies, or e-book writing, among other types of writing. A lot of freelancers choose to be open to more than one type of writing. Such freelance writers also prefer taking gigs on various topics.
Others specialize in a specific type of writing or topic. Examples of topics are finance, health, and fashion.
Specializing in one or a few related topics is great if you want to be viewed as a professional in what you do. You have better chances of finding high-paying clients because they trust you when it comes to your area of specialization.
Freelance marketplaces and employment websites are some online platforms to find writing jobs. You could also communicate with potential clients directly through social media.
Many freelance writers set up their own websites to show their work and offer their services. This approach is great for landing highly profitable gigs as long as you promote your services.
Blogging is another idea that can pay off when done the right way. It involves writing and publishing blog posts on your own site for a specific audience.
You need a blogging niche or topic that many people read about. It should also be something that can be monetized. You don’t want to waste time writing stuff no one wants to read and never get a chance to make money from it. Some topics to blog about are money or finances, travel, food, lifestyle, and personal development.
The trick is to provide helpful answers in your blog posts that people are searching for. Optimizing your blog for search engines and promoting it is another essential thing.
Many bloggers make 5 figures a year. Others get the same figures in just one or a couple of months. It takes some investment, time, and effort.
Need more information on how to blog? Check out this guide. You’ll be able to create a potentially profitable blog by the time you finish reading it!
3. Web development
This career involves creating and maintaining websites according to a client’s needs. Having a degree in Computer Science or a related degree helps a lot. But many clients online consider a web developer’s skills and not their education.
There are lots of resources to learn about web development by yourself. And there are even more online tools and templates to make work easier for web developers or any other person who wants to build a site.
As a web developer, you just need to create a portfolio website to showcase your work. You can search for jobs on freelance sites and job search platforms or work with clients who come to your site. It’s not uncommon to hit five figures working on specific high-paying projects.
4. YouTube video creation
If you like making videos, this is a perfect way to monetize your passion. YouTube creators simply make and upload videos that users like watching.
The good thing is that you can base your videos on almost any topic and find a suitable audience on YouTube. But this doesn’t mean that you should create a general YouTube channel where you post anything you want.
Unless you are some kind of celebrity, you need to find one or a few related niches to focus on. But you’re allowed to experiment a little when looking for that sweet spot.
Enabling YouTube ads on your videos is probably the most popular way to make money as a YouTuber. But it requires at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours over the previous 12 months.
However, several other ways to monetize YouTube videos exist. In fact, many YouTubers make more money through ways other than ads. These include brand deals and sponsorships and promoting affiliate or your own products and services.
5. Influencer marketing
Becoming a social media influencer might suit you if you like spending time online. Influencers get paid for promoting brands on their social media pages. Instagram is one popular online platform to offer influencer marketing services.
Keep in mind that you need a significant number of engaged followers. This way, they can take action after seeing your posts.
No brand would hire someone with low engagement rates on their pages. That’s why you need to work on increasing your follower count and enhancing your Instagram engagement. It becomes easier for companies to spot you and give you a deal.
Other than getting sponsored by brands, you could promote a specific product to your audience. This could be an affiliate product or even one you own. Doing all these makes it possible to earn 5 figures as an influencer.
Wrapping It up
Now, you know what 3, 4, and 5 figures mean in money. Such knowledge comes in handy in setting financial goals and money management.
If you didn’t know which 5-figure salary job or career can work for you, hope you’ve gathered some ideas. All you need to do is be persistent at it and you’ll get there sooner rather than later.