If you’re like many other people, you have at least one vehicle that you need to store. Maybe you no longer need your current one because you’re traveling but don’t want to sell it yet. Or it can be that you just bought a new car and don’t want to drive the old one until you find a buyer.
All these reasons may make you want to find cheap car storage nearby, whether short-term or long-term, in case you don’t have a lot of space yourself. But finding affordable vehicle storage can be a challenge. That’s why I’ve put together this list of the best places to get storage for your car at the lowest costs possible!
This article is reader-supported and contains affiliate links. We get a small commission for specific actions or purchases made through them. Read more on the disclaimer page.
Where to Find Cheap Vehicle Storage Online
Below are the best platforms to find vehicle storage space.
Neighbor is an online storage service that enables you to keep your vehicle at a home and not a storage unit. In other words, you get a space that’s cheaper, closer, and more secure.
The platform works in a wide variety of locations in the US. So, it doesn’t matter whether you’re in California, Florida, Pennsylvania, or any other place.
Below are the steps to get affordable options on Neighbor with the features you need:
- Choose the type of vehicle: Neighbor offers self-storage for items too besides vehicle storage. So you need to select the vehicle you need to store, such as a car, RV, truck, trailer, or even boat.
- Pick a location: Simply search for nearby car storage spaces on Neighbor by entering a ZIP, address, town, or city. Neighbor allows you to use your current location.
- Select a category: The categories of vehicle storage on Neighbor are outdoors, indoors, covered, and uncovered.
- Filter your search more: You can even fill out the size dimensions you need and sort by price and distance or amenities like climate control, smoke detectors, and cameras.
There are numerous parking lots, driveways, garages, sheds, and other spaces to choose from. As if that’s not enough, you can even find an option to store a fleet of cars.
Once you find suitable storage, you just need to reserve it and chat with the owner. You’ll then need to pay for every month the person stores your car for you.
2. Public Storage
Public Storage is a well-known storage company. It offers various types of vehicle storage, such as parking, covered areas, and enclosed units.
You can search for Public Storage locations on their site and get the available sizes and prices for each facility. You can also sort by proximity or lowest price first.
Public Storage offers vehicle storage in different sizes, so you can easily find the most appropriate parking spot for your car. The prices are competitive, and most locations come with access to 24/7 surveillance cameras.
You’ll also get climate-controlled storage if required along with features such as convenient hours of operation.
3. STOW IT
STOW IT is another great platform to look for affordable vehicle storage and save money. The service connects you with local residents who are willing to offer their space for storing vehicles in exchange for some cash.
The platform works across many cities in most US states, including Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Minnesota, and Georgia. You can just browse the map on STOW IT’s website or enter your city or ZIP code to find suitable storage options near you.
Just like any other quality storage marketplace, STOW IT offers an online messaging system that allows you to contact the owner of a space to know more details, such as pricing and other features. After making sure it’s a great option for storing your vehicle, simply pay for the duration of time required.
4. ExtraSpace Storage
In case you need another great place to save money on car storage costs, ExtraSpace Storage may interest you. It offers various types of car storage options, like indoor, outdoor, and covered, that suit you if you need to store your car for a month or longer.
You can search for nearby ExtraSpace Storage storage solutions on their website and get access to features like climate control and cameras.
You don’t have to worry since the company lists spaces for all sizes of vehicles. If you have an RV, large boat, trailer, or work equipment, you can quickly browse nearby uncovered areas where they can safely stay.
CubeSmart is yet another storage company that offers vehicle storage services. It provides convenient locations in more than a dozen US states and offers various kinds of vehicle storage options, such as indoor, outdoor, and covered spaces.
The company also features units that come with access to good lighting, security systems, and monitoring devices like video recording.
CubeSmart also offers discounts when you book online, so it’s a great way to save money on car storage costs. Even better: if required, the company can help you find a tow truck to transport your vehicle from one location to another.
What to Consider when Looking for Car Storage
When looking for car storage, there are a few important things to consider in order to make sure your vehicle is stored safely and securely.
- Type of storage space: Indoor spaces can suit most smaller cars. But if you have larger vehicles or machinery, you may have to choose an outdoor space. Also, the area can be covered or uncovered.
- Size: The size of the storage space is also important, as you have to make sure it can accommodate your vehicle. Make sure you know the dimensions of a particular storage before you take your vehicle there.
- Security: It should be one of your highest priorities. Ensure the facility you choose offers good lighting and monitoring systems like surveillance cameras. Pay attention to the lock system; it should be strong enough to protect your car from potential theft.
- Climate control: If you plan on storing your car for a long period of time, climate-controlled storage is recommended as it will help protect the vehicle from temperature fluctuations and other weather conditions.
- Distance: Look for a facility that’s close to home, so you don’t have to travel too far in case you need quick access. Moreover, you’ll spend less money on transporting or driving your car to the storage area if it’s nearby.
- Price: Last but not least, pay attention to the price of the storage facility and make sure it suits your budget. Compare prices among different storage providers and look for discounts or special offers.
Wrapping It up
Finding the right car storage can be tricky, but with a bit of research and comparison, you should be able to find an affordable option that meets all your requirements. The key is to take your time and make sure all the features are taken care of. After all, the safety and security of your car is paramount.
The listed places are some of the best ones to get vehicle storage at a low cost. With any of the above options, you can easily find cheap car storage and make sure your vehicle is secure and safe while you’re away.
Happy car storage hunting! 🙂